[oletrucks] Re: Saw your truck!!

To: Bsanderson@new.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Saw your truck!!
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:45:56 EST
In a message dated 01/20/2001 2:40:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Bsanderson@new.rr.com writes:

<<There is a three inch hole rusted through on both sides.  The other area of
concern is the passenger side rear fender.
 It looks as if the back side of the fender was dented and then rusted off.>>

My truck had the lower cowl holes also. I had stripped my truck down to just
the cab on the chassis, so I had good access to the area. I first cut out and
replaced all rusted sheetmetal, then I finished the area with body putty. No
problems as a result. Also, after the paint job was complete, I applied
undercoating extensively under all fenders. My only rust on the rear fenders
was along the flange that attaches them to the bed. I dealt with this in the
same way as the cowl.

<>

First of all, don't be too quick to get rid of the 305. If it's a runner,
install it and drive it while you work the kinks out of the truck. I put
30,000 miles on mine, then installed a 350, as I mentioned. My son and I are
now tearing down the 305 as a teaching/learning experience. I'm amazed that
it has virtually no cylinder ring ridge! The bearings look good, too, so it
could be put back in service with a $70 ring job kit from Northern Auto
Parts. My 305 has 1.84/1.5 valves, which is better than most standard 350's.
I may keep the heads even if get rid of the block. They'd work great on a
dished-piston 350. BTW, another reason for keeping the 305 is the right hand
dipstick. My 350 also has it, and it's nice to have it on the right where
there's no steering column to interfere. That's a good price, but don't
forget to get the throttle linkage and the steering column. Even if you
aren't planning on using it, get the power steering pump, too. Transmission
shifter linkage, too.

<<If I remember correctly you kept the trucks original look with regards to
the body.  Did you do any modifications to the interior?  I am thinking of
getting a pair of recaro buckets and just refreshing the look of the dash.  I
would like to keep most of the instrumentation original and blend in some
modern conveniences.  Did you keep the vacuum driven wipers, or
 replace them with an electric motor?>>

I installed all new window rubbers and channels, and new headliner and door
panels. I packed insulation into the area above the headliner and under the
carpet (new). I just had the seat rebuilt and recovered, and installed lap
belts. The radio was shot, so I paid the price for a CustomAutoSound stereo
cassette. I removed all the gauges from the housing and installed mahogany,
then installed a set of VDO gauges with electronic speedometer. You can get
amber, red, and blue lights for the indicator lights. I got mine at Western
Auto, but I've seen them at other places. I used the cheapest electric wiper
kit I could get, and it only has one, slow speed. I'd definitely go for at
least a two-speed setup if I was doing it again.