RE: [oletrucks] Number on tranny?

To: "'pigsmith@flash.net'" <pigsmith@flash.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Number on tranny?
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:34:04 -0600
My GMC Master Parts Manual says that your 253 model
should have a 210U Hydra-Matic.  The markings are found
on a tag just above the rear side of the transmission pan.

My 177CA Hydra-Matic is marked something like
"57-CA177 xxxx" where 57 is the year, CA177
is the transmission model and xxxx is the
serial number.  I have never seen the xxxx match
any VIN number, so I don't think that there is such
a thing as "numbers matching" GMC TF trucks.

By the way, I did a little follow up on your VIN
question from last week.  The 253 model is a 135"
wheelbase 1 ton.  There were also 251 (114") and
252 (123") models.  Rear end ratio was either 4.56
or 5.14 to 1.  The Master Parts Manual claims that
the Y model (55) was shipped with both the 288 and
316 V8.  Based on your low serial number, I'd bet
that yours was a 288.