[oletrucks] Cutting down those high RPM's

To: "OleTrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cutting down those high RPM's
From: "50chevy" <50chevy@iwon.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:43:46 -0500
Hi all,

I have a '50 Chevy 3100 with a 235, 4-speed (granny gear) and 4.11 rear
end.  I would like to be able to drive on the highway a little faster than
50mph without feeling like the engine is coming apart.

As I see it, my options are:
1. Change to an Overdrive Transmission
2. Change out the complete rear end (& drive train?)
3. Change out the 4.11 gear & keep the original rear end

I don't really know too much, but I think the easiest and cheapest alternative
is to just change out the 4.11 gear for a 3.55 (or or other) from a salvage
yard.  Before I do anything, I'd like to hear any and all opinions, stories,
and advice from you fellow truckers who have been there, done that.

What financial considerations am I missing?  What pitfalls can I look to
avoid?  Why other alternatives should I consider?  At this point, I'm not
ready ($$) to swap out the engine, straight axle, etc.

Thanks in ADvance,

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway! Click
here now for your "Thank You" gift:
http://www.iwon.com/giftcenter/0,2612,,00.html?t_id=20157