Re: [oletrucks] Engine Removal

To: "Chico Woodhill" <chico_woodhill@punkass.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine Removal
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:50:38 -0700
Chico, I'm going to try to asnwer some questions by giving my opinion here.
Weigh?? Don't know. With b/house on and manifolds, could be 500lbs I bet. It
will fit most stands. OR, will lift with most
engine pickers, if that's what you wanted to know.
 Hoist chain? I have pulled and seen pulled on the manifolds, remove the
carb to prevent damage. The engine will NOT hang straight this way. I have a
leveler or a homemade hoist device and bolt it onto the top rear Bellhousing
bolt (7/16") and on front opposite side water pump bolt (replace with longer
bolt) or sometimes an intake bolt near front. OR sometimes there are other
holes threaded with nothing in them.
 In truck bed- I set engines on wood block under front of pan and two under
rear mounts on b/house if still on. THEN, I use ratchet straps and go to
opposite sides of bed to keep upright. You'll need a 3pt. pull or else it
will just slide around on you and come loose or tip. I was involved in an
accident with my 82 truck carrying a stovebolt strapped in like this and
everything in bed went flying forward, 'cept the engine, which did move some
still, and it held. It would have been thru the back window or at least the
box front if it hadn't been strapped.
Cheaper stand? NOPE, if you go to www.northerntools.com or
www.harborfreight.com , you will find imports at about the cheapest you'll
find anywhere. Go for the one with the Four wheels, maybe a 1200 lb rating?
Don't get the single front wheel type, it tips very easy, and these engines
are already long and easier to tip than V-8. These also have a swivel and
bar to help you turn over the engine. This is something you can always use
and won't be a waste of money. If you can weld and have source for tubing
and pipes, can make your own. For time involved, won't be much cheaper, but
may be stronger than boughten type. Good Luck!

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
AD COE's in process
GMC Tilt -cab flatbed