Re: [oletrucks] tranny problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tranny problem
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:29:53 -0600
I also have a problem with a 5-speed from a 1988 S-10.  Something that I
think is in the tranny area is making a bad rumbling/rattling noise.  When
you press down on the clutch the noise gets worse.  You can feel it in the
gear shift and through the floorboard.  This is not a subtle noise.  I
would think that it is a bad throughout bearing, but my wife's son (who was
a mechanic in the Army) thinks that it is something in the transmission.
Anyone have any idea's?

BobK
51 3600 5-window
Arnaudville, LA

                    The Perfesser

                    <driver@49chevy.com>        To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    owner-oletrucks@auto        Subject:     Re: [oletrucks]
tranny problem
                    x.team.net

                    12/10/01 07:52 AM

                    Please respond to

                    The Perfesser

At 07:53 PM 12/9/2001 -0500, Joebeatle64@aol.com
wrote:
>Hi all,
>    Can anybody tell me what my problem is ?
>Here goes. Everytime I shift from first to second gear it slips out of
>second. The tranny is a three speed on the column. It is a 52 3100.

I'm hardly the expert on these things, but with my own transmission
problems I'm learning quickly.

I will concur with this assessment:

At 07:28 PM 12/9/2001 -0600, Bruce K wrote:
>Could be a worn linkage between the column and the tranny or a worn
>synchronizer in the transmission.  (Does a 52 have a Synchromesh
>transmission?)

If your transmission is original, it's entirely likely that the synchro
drum or the brass rings within it are worn, and the whole trans is no doubt

due for a rebuild.  I would suggest, however, that you go straight to
BowTie Bits:

Bowtie Bits Antique Truck Parts
3101 W. Harry
Wichita, KS 67213
Business number: (316) 941-9331
Fax number: (316) 941-9341
e-mail address: bowtiebits@msn.com
Toll Free order line: 1 (888) 838-6887

And ask them about their rebuilds.  Unless you're expert at these sorta
things, and even then, apparently some of the parts are near impossible to
find, and Jeff @ Bowtie is now hand-tooling some of them.

Wish somebody had told me about BowTie bits a  year ago when I started
having probs with my transmission, so I'm passing the info along here
before you get too deep into the quagmire.  G'luck.

--PS

Paul Schatzkin, aka The Perfesser
http://www.theperfesser.com

1949 Chevy 3100