Re: [oletrucks] tranny problem

To: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tranny problem
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:18:21 -0800
  When you disengage the clutch, two bearings begin turning that don't turn
the rest of the time: the Pilot bearing and the throwout bearing. If you
push the clutch in when sitting  stopped with the transmission in
neutral,  the transmission should stop. You can test whether it's stopped
by attempting to put it in reverse because reverse has no synchronizer. If
it grinds, ether the clutch is dragging due to maladjustment or the pilot
bearing is seized or about to seize. IF the noise stops when the
transmission stops there's a problem in the transmission. If the
transmission stops when you depress the clutch, and the noise gets worse,
then it's not in the transmission. This could also be the thrust bearing in
the engine. That takes more stress when the clutch is disengaged.

-Tom

51 3800

At 08:29 AM 12/10/01 -0600, Bobby D Keeland wrote:
>I also have a problem with a 5-speed from a 1988 S-10.  Something that I
>think is in the tranny area is making a bad rumbling/rattling noise.  When
>you press down on the clutch the noise gets worse.  You can feel it in the
>gear shift and through the floorboard.  This is not a subtle noise.  I
>would think that it is a bad throughout bearing, but my wife's son (who was
>a mechanic in the Army) thinks that it is something in the transmission.
>Anyone have any idea's?
>
>BobK
>51 3600 5-window
>Arnaudville, LA

                     The
Perfesser
>                     <driver@49chevy.com>        To:
> oletrucks@autox.team.net
>                     Sent
> by:                    cc:
>                     owner-oletrucks@auto        Subject:     Re:
> [oletrucks] tranny problem
>                     x.team.net

                     12/10/01 07:52
AM
>                     Please respond
>                     The
> Perfesser
>

>At 07:53 PM 12/9/2001 -0500, Joebeatle64@aol.com
>wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >    Can anybody tell me what my problem is ?
> >Here goes. Everytime I shift from first to second gear it slips out of
> >second. The tranny is a three speed on the column. It is a 52 3100.
>
>I'm hardly the expert on these things, but with my own transmission
>problems I'm learning quickly.
>
>I will concur with this assessment:
>
>At 07:28 PM 12/9/2001 -0600, Bruce K wrote:
> >Could be a worn linkage between the column and the tranny or a worn
> >synchronizer in the transmission.  (Does a 52 have a Synchromesh
> >transmission?)
>

>If your transmission is original, it's entirely likely that the synchro
>drum or the brass rings within it are worn, and the whole trans is no doubt
>
>due for a rebuild.  I would suggest, however, that you go straight to
>BowTie Bits:
>
>Bowtie Bits Antique Truck Parts
>3101 W. Harry
>Wichita, KS 67213
>Business number: (316) 941-9331
>Fax number: (316) 941-9341
>e-mail address: bowtiebits@msn.com
>Toll Free order line: 1 (888) 838-6887
>
>And ask them about their rebuilds.  Unless you're expert at these sorta
>things, and even then, apparently some of the parts are near impossible to
>find, and Jeff @ Bowtie is now hand-tooling some of them.
>
>Wish somebody had told me about BowTie bits a  year ago when I started
>having probs with my transmission, so I'm passing the info along here
>before you get too deep into the quagmire.  G'luck.
>
>--PS

>Paul Schatzkin, aka The Perfesser
>http://www.theperfesser.com
>
>1949 Chevy 3100