[oletrucks] air compressor questions

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] air compressor questions
From: "Duncan M. Nickles" <DNICKLES@mbakercorp.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:34:26 -0500
I have been reading all of the recent postings about air compressors and shop
set up.  I have the impression that those of you with the large compressors are
running more that your average shade tree garage.

I too have been contemplating a compressor but am on hold until the funds
materialize (or quit disappearing at least).

I have been looking at the CFM displacement rather than the psi rating, etc...
but the large compressors that have been discussed lately seem to be overkill
for typical handy man activity.  If I go to Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes and but
a small compressor - less than 200 psi with a relatively small tank - less than
50 gal. - the CFM ratings are still there that I can run impacts, wratchets,
die grinders, drills, sanders, paint guns, etc...  I am not planning on running
hydraulic lifts or anything of that industrial nature, but I may look at some
small scale sand blasting in the future.  I also will use the compressor for
pneumatic nail guns in the shop.

Am I missing the boat?  I definately cannot afford a $750 - $1000 compressor
(probably for the next 20 years).  But I can afford $300 - $400 for one from
Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes.  Will I be disappointed?  I realize that the
compressor will run when I am using high demand tools like sanders, drills, and
die grinders.

Thanks

Duncan Nickles
Canonsburg, PA