Re: [oletrucks] Portable heaters??

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Portable heaters??
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:32:18 -0600
Bruce,

     Do you know of a web site that gives information on putting the pipes
or wires under the concrete floor for heat?  I am just about to pour a slab
for my shop and this is a good idea.  Any idea of the cost to heat compared
with more conventional methods (like a kerosene heater)?

BobK
51 3600 5-window
Arnaudville, LA

                    Bruce Kettunen

                    <bekett@uslink.net>         To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    owner-oletrucks@auto        Subject:     Re: [oletrucks]
Portable heaters??
                    x.team.net

                    01/05/02 12:13 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Bruce Kettunen

The sunshine propane heaters (the infra red ones that attach to the
top of a propane tank) work great for heating up specific areas.
They shine infrared and heat what they shine on, but move no air.

There are salamander heaters for propane and kerosene.  These actually
blow hot air.  30 or 40,000 BTU should be enough to take the edge
off.

If you really want to get fancy, find a used hot air furnace and
install it in your garage with a chimney.  Set the ductwork up to
blow straight on the floor, where you need the heat most.  For your
needs, again 40 or 50,000 BTU should be fine.  Your options are natural
gas, propane, or fuel oil, depending on what is available where you
are.  Try to avoild pilot lights so that you can just turn the furnace
on with no muss or fuss when you want to.

Wood stoves work great if you can get cheap wood.  A 50 gallon barrel
stove will heat your garage just fine.  For this you need a real
chimney.

The ultimate heat if you are building a shop from scratch is slab
heat where warm water pipes (with anti freeze) or electric cables
are buried under the floor.  This puts the heat just where you need
it and can be fired with any fuel (for the water variation).  If
I was building new, I would put the pipes AND cables in under the
slab, even if I didn't use them right away.

On ventilation, you need some to replace the air used by the fire.
It doesn't take much, a cracked open window or the crack under
a door will go a long ways.

I would give anything to have my garage 30 to 40 all winter long :-)

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
MN

Let's be safe out there.

One other word on ignition sources.  If you are using sprayed solvents
or lots of sprayed paint, the flame source should be outside the
room.