Re: [oletrucks] metal preservation

To: "Gene Merritt" <gmerritt@netins.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] metal preservation
From: "Michael and Stephany Zaic" <mzaic@athens.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:46:50 -0500
Gene,

I've been through this same dilemma.  I used CHEAP spray can paint to
protect the metal after working on a section.  I applied a discount brand
of flat black from Home Depot for .99 a can.  It held up fairly well, but
after a year of outside exposure, some tiny rust spots were starting to
show through.  I would go with gloss, instead of flat.  I have since
stripped all of the sheet metal and properly primed and sealed.  The rust
which was developing under the flat black was very minimal.  As for
coverage, one can would just about coat a fender with decent coverage.

If the sheet metal will be protected inside, I found that a coating of
Ras-O-Nil or Crud Cutter (Home Depot) will protect the metal from rusting
for several months at a time.

Hope this helps some!
Michael Z.
Lawrenceville, GA