Re: [oletrucks] 350/700R4

To: "kmm 1024" <kmm1024@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350/700R4
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:18:30 -0700
My Scout has a HD Chrysler 727 transmission. My "Tranny Guy", who I've known
abt 10-12 years, mentioned something abt adjusting bands. I don't know that
much abt automatic transmissions. But I used to tow a 24 ft travel trailer
with a 1971 IH Travelall, which I bought new. It also had the 727 trans. But
this band adjustment was a yearly thing unless you really abused the trans.
As far as heat, I understand any time you really punch the throttle you
cause a lot of heat. The torque converter puts out a lot of heat when you
pull hard. I've been told you then need to shift down, and keep your engine
speed at a moderate rate. I don't know if the new lock up converters are
better or worse. An external transmission oil cooler is also a very good
idea, if you are hard on transmissions, or do a lot of towing. They're
pretty cheap, and not hard to install. I put a fairly good size one on my 71
IH. The cooler manufacturer suggested going from the trans. return line , to
the external cooler, and into the oil cooler built into the radiator. Then
you don't have to worry abt the trans. oil getting TOO cool. We had a
professional transmission guy on the list the last day or so- maybe he will
give us a little better info. Most of my information is from trailer towing
5 years ago or more. But I doubt things have changed much. Bob K in PHX