Re: [oletrucks] 350/700R4

To: <raknotts@qwest.net>, <kmm1024@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350/700R4
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:34:10 -0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Adjusting bands is no longer a service for auto trans's. In 50's and some
into early=0D
60's with old designs needed that, no more. Service is changing oil and
filter now and maybe seals. =0D
=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
=0D
From: Bob KNOTTS=0D
Date: Thursday, May 02, 2002 07:38:27 PM=0D
To: kmm 1024=0D
Cc: oletrucks@autox.team.net=0D
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350/700R4=0D
=0D
My Scout has a HD Chrysler 727 transmission. My "Tranny Guy", who I've kn=
own=0D
abt 10-12 years, mentioned something abt adjusting bands. I don't know th=
at=0D
much abt automatic transmissions. But I used to tow a 24 ft travel traile=
r=0D
with a 1971 IH Travelall, which I bought new. It also had the 727 trans. =
But=0D
this band adjustment was a yearly thing unless you really abused the tran=
s.=0D
As far as heat, I understand any time you really punch the throttle you=0D
cause a lot of heat. The torque converter puts out a lot of heat when you=
=0D
pull hard. I've been told you then need to shift down, and keep your engi=
ne=0D
speed at a moderate rate. I don't know if the new lock up converters are=0D
better or worse. An external transmission oil cooler is also a very good=0D
idea, if you are hard on transmissions, or do a lot of towing. They're=0D
pretty cheap, and not hard to install. I put a fairly good size one on my=
 71=0D
IH. The cooler manufacturer suggested going from the trans. return line ,=
 to=0D
the external cooler, and into the oil cooler built into the radiator. The=
n=0D
you don't have to worry abt the trans. oil getting TOO cool. We had a=0D
professional transmission guy on the list the last day or so- maybe he wi=
ll=0D
give us a little better info. Most of my information is from trailer towi=
ng=0D
5 years ago or more. But I doubt things have changed much. Bob K in PHX=0D
----- Original Message -----=0D