Re: [oletrucks] Trailer Hitch

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trailer Hitch
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 23:24:57 -0500
This is the same drive combination that is in the modern (90's) 1/2
ton Suburbans and pickups.  It is not up to towing anything any distance
at all.  The rating for passengers, stuff, and trailer on my 96 sub
is 5000 lbs.  I have never towed anything bigger than a double snowmobile
trailer and I have been through three transmissions (original and
two GM rebuilts) and the guts of one rear end in 89000 miles.  I
am now on the 4'th transmission, a GM original (not rebuilt).

I would look for a 4L80E and a heavy half ton or light 3/4 ton (6
bolt full floater) rear end for towing a car hauler.  Also, put in
tranny and rear end temp sensors and an extra tranny cooler.  Change
the rear end and tranny fluid once a year and consider using synthetic
fluids for both to reduce heat buildup.

Don't tow anything in overdrive.  There is only one clutch plate
on the overdrive clutch and it will fry right away if the transmission
starts hunting in and out of overdrive.

GM used to make bulletproof drive trains but it seems they have forgotten
how in recent years.

To preserve me from the lawyers, all the humble opinion of me and
a bunch of other Suburban owners.

For some unbiased scoop on current GM light truck drive trains from
some very talented owners, check out No. 1 Son's Suburban / Yukon
Links Page.

http://subtopics.freeyellow.com/subtopics.htm

Bruce K
57 3200