Re: [oletrucks] sand blaster

To: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] sand blaster
From: Ray Archambeault <archambeault@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:34:54 -0700
Hello Y'All
Take it from an old fart with lung problems that you best wear a
respirator when you are sandblasting.
Even if you cant see the dust, It IS in the air and can damage your lungs.
The "Peening" action case hardens the metal.  Straighten all your metal BEFORE
you
sandblast.
I would also be a good idea to study in depth the different types of material
you
are using such as
sand, metal or nut shells (?).  Each abrasive has different results.
And finally...Dont sandblast greasy spots....It will permeate into the metal.

One other note while I have your atttention.
Someone suggested putting a "washer" of some kind under the bolts to save the
paint
from getting scratched.
After reading this Very Good suggestion I remembered that Gramps left me some
leather working tools.
These tools are made by C.S. Osborne & Co. out of New Jersey. Check for them at
local Leather working shop.
I had two sizes.  One is 1/4 inch and another 3/4 inch.  These things are
relics of
days gone bye but work great.
I used the lids off coffee cans (the plastic part) and punch first the 1/4 inch
hole, then the 3/4 inch hole.  This gave me
washer which will fit under the metal washer, is almost clear and not visible.
have only used them under a metal washer
and will try a lubricant, IF necessary when used under a bolt which is being
tightened.  I dont know what a lock
washer will do to them.

Arch