RE: [oletrucks] 58 chevy rebuild

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 58 chevy rebuild
From: "Dane" <nochay@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:44:34 -0700
Hello Andrew,

I Might Be Able To Help.

Where do I start, and what order should I take?

If You Don't Have A Lot Of Cash, Start Small. Acquire Parts When You Can.
Start Building Up Parts, And Make A List Of What You Need To Replace, Or
What Is Missing. Decide If You Want To Keep The Truck Stock, Or Yank The
Engine/Tranny And Replace It.

How much is it going to cost to get minor body work, and a really good paint
job both inside and out?

Can't Help (Not A Body Work Man) You Should Shoot The Paint Yourself If
Possible. Maco Is Not A Good Idea For A Quality Job. Perfect For A Work
Truck, But Not For A Restored Beauty!

Someone cut holes in the doors for speakers down at the bottom where it is
kind of wavy, can a body guy patch that, or do I need to look for new doors?

Not Sure. Look For "New" Doors In A Junk Yard If You Want A Quick Fix. You
Never Know What You May Find! In Restoring Cars/Trucks, You Will Find That
You "Trade Up". You May Find Doors That Are Rusty, (Not Bad, Otherwise Ditch
Em), But Need To Be Hammered Out Slightly. You Have Just Traded Up, Instead
Of Having Crap Doors With Holes. Or, You May Find A Badge Lets Say A 3200
Apache Badge,  That Needs To Be Rechromed/Painted. That Badge You Find May
Have A Slight Crack/Scratch, Compared To That Badge You Have With Heavy
Pitting, Missing Posts, Etc. Learning To "Trade Up" Will Save You Hours Of
Frustration! :)

Do I redo the bed before or after I paint?

You Would Want To Do That After. If You Strip The Truck, Then Primer It, And
If You Shoot The Truck, Then Put It Into A Oven, You May Warp Your Panels,
Or Draw The Moisture Out Of The Wood. Hold Off Until You Get The Truck
Painted. Take Out Critical Components I.E. Electrical Stuff, Radios, Etc If
You Bake The Truck In A Oven. Newer Cars Have That Problem, So You Take Out
All The Computer Boards Cause It Will Be Fried. Also, Drain Your A/C Unit Of
Freon If So Equipped. Take Out The Battery Also, (If I'm Correct On This
One) Because Of Explosive Gases The Battery Creates. You Never Know What May
Happen!

Are there any good books out their for first timers (i.e. Restoring an Ole
Truck for Dummies)?

Can't Think Of Any. This Email List Is A Great Place To Start. Visit Your
Local Library, And Check The Car Section.

<See Above!> :)

Dane