Re: [oletrucks] New gears for highway speed in 54 3/4 ton

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New gears for highway speed in 54 3/4 ton
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:00:35 -0600
Tom,

Thanks for the reply.  So, lets see if I got this right.

I take the original 54 3/4 ton rearend and replace the middle part
(pumpkin?) but keep the axle shafts and housings, then replace some of the
gearing inside the pumpkin with new parts from Carters?  Is this right?  I
assume that the whole rearend from the 67-72 3/4 ton pickup is too wide for
a 54 (~51 cab).  Do you know of any web based description of the process
for all of this?  And, is it worth the effort to do all of this in order to
keep the heavy duty rearend as opposed to finding something else that is
heavy duty?  Any suggestions from anyone????

BobK
51 3600 5-window (still in pieces and on a 54 frame)
Arnaudville, LA

                      Tom3600@webtv.net

                                               To:       bob_keeland@usgs.gov
(Bobby D Keeland)
                      11/19/02 06:29 PM        cc:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                                               Subject:  Re: [oletrucks] New
gears for highway speed in 54
                                                3/4 ton

BobK ~

First of all you need to get the complete third member (differential)
(pumpkin) from a 1967-1972 Chevy C20 3/4 ton pickup with automatic
tranny.  This is a 4.10 ratio as opposed to your stock 4.57.  Once you
have this carrier I understand that there are vendors (Carter) who sell
a 3.90 that fits this carrier.  I spent about 3 years and $250.00 &
$50.00 shipping just to find a used 4.10.  Since I already have a Chevy
S10 T5 tranny I am staying with the 4.10 ratio.

Tom

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.
Z49 Chevy Pickup Retro Rod
Inliner #3511    V8's R not INLINE
http://community.webtv.net/TOMPOT/TOMS1949CHEVYPICKUP

----- Message from "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov> on Tue, 19 Nov
2002 14:08:00 -0600 -----

      To: oletrucks@autox.team.net

 Subject: [oletrucks] New gears for highway speed
          in 54 3/4 ton

I thought that someone had mentioned a place that now supplies new gears to
fit into the housing of a 54 3/4 ton truck. Was I dreaming?  I could not
find the original post on the archives. Seems like it was Patricks, but
couldn't find anything there that said 3/4 ton.  I want to check out the
differences in price for keeping the original 3/4 ton rearend with new,
more highway compatiable gearing, versus swapping out for a Nova (or some
such) rearend.  I would prefer to keep the truck "heavy duty" as I will be
using it to haul lots of stuff here and there.

Anyone got any suggestions?

BobK
51 3600 5-window (still in pieces with a 54 3600 frame)
Arnaudville, LA