Re: [oletrucks] More on the tail light question.

To: "chuck clark" <cachomeimp@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More on the tail light question.
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:06:07 -0800
Chuck this sure sounds like a ground problem of some sort, but I haven't
been able to picture your wiring diagram to guess where teh problem is.  I
have a '55 1st series Suburban so I have a pretty good idea what the various
pieces all look like.

I'm not sure I can identify your problem, but if you don't mind I'll work
through what I know, and what I don't and maybe that will help.  Or maybe it
will be a waste of time, but my own project is frustrating enough that I
need to think about something else a little while anyway.  My new electric
wiper motor doesn't work right.

When I got my truck it had a pair of wires, that were original equipment,
that ran under the body, and came up in the back corner, and ran in the body
to a hole that matched up with a hole in the side of the door.  The two
wires ran to the filiments in teh stop/tail light mounted on the door.  I
had only the one light on a door.  Where I had wire going through holes, it
sounds like you have door contacts making that connection.

My turn signals were separate from the stop/tail circuit, and also ran
underneath the body, up into the body through the same holes, and then to
single filiments lights mounted on each side below the windows.

My system required four wires.  Yours should have a wire for each side,
which is turn/stop, and another wire for the tail light circuit.  You might
also have a backup light wire.

The first thing I'd do if I were troubleshooting your system would be to
make sure I could identify each of those wires and verify the right things
are happening on each.  I'd do that by disconnecting the wires from the
lights and from anything else at the back of the truck, because what I'd
want to do is make sure the problem isn't occuring before power even gets
there.

Most likely you won't find a problem, but I'd rather check than bang my head
against the wall chasing problems that exist in some other part of the
system.

Assuming you've identified which wire and can see that if does what it
should, I'd then connect one filiment at a time and verify that it works.
Start by connecting a ground wire, to make sure that part of the circuit is
in place.  If your door contacts only support two conductors you might want
to upgrade those to support three conductors.  That will allow connecting a
ground in addition to the tail and stop/turn circuits.

I'd start with the tail lights because they are the simpliest circuits.  The
either come on or they don't.  When you have a tail light in one door, do
the tail light in the second door (remembering to put a gound wire in place
first.

When both tail lights work, you should be able to add the stop/turn wires
and then should be done.

Since I can't see what you've done, and don't know your wiring diagram, I
guess my input isn't as specific as I'd like it to be.  If you can create a
wiring diagram, and describe where and how all the connections occur, I'd be
happy to try to give a better response.