Re: [oletrucks] More on the tail light question.

To: chuck clark <cachomeimp@hotmail.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More on the tail light question.
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:03:13 -0800 (PST)
Finding that the socket was not grounding the base of
the bulb fits with the problem as you described it.
Using dual filament bulbs and not grounding one bulb
will causes this.  When you applied the brakes and
sent 12 volts to the brake lights, The current path
becomes :
brake light filament, light bulb base (not grounded),
light bulb base to tail light filament to tail light
wire, to other tail light, accross filament and
finally to ground. Each of the three filament will
only drop about 4 volts. If you were to do the math (I
don't want to) you would probably find the the brake
filament drops close to 6 volts while each tail light
filament drop close to 3 volts. 6 volts across the
brake light filament will make it glow, but it will be
dim.

When you turned on the tail lights at the same time
the brake lights were on, that put 12 volts on the
tail light wire. The ungrounded bulb now has 12 volts
on the brake filament and 12 volts on the tail light
filament, since the bulb is not grounded, the will be
no current flow.

The best way to understand what happen is to draw the
lighting circuit showing two wires to each bulb and a
third wire as a ground. Trace the current path with
everything right, then remove the ground from one bulb
and trace the current path.

Hope my explanation makes sense. Sorry about the
techno explanation, but I'm an Electrical Engineer and
can't help myself.

Jim Nordwall
1950 3100