RE: [oletrucks] 283 question - RPO 354

To: "Ole_Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 283 question - RPO 354
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:23:28 -0800 (PST)
This was a Corvette only engine so you'll have to dig thru the vette
restoration stuff;
however, they are very well documented.

RPO 354, 283 V8, 315 hp was the high hp version of the fuel injected engine
used on the
1961Corvette only; the next year the max fuel injected engine went to the 360hp
327;
prior to that the max was a 290hp FI 283, except that in 57 the max was a 283hp
FI 283
V8...the first year for the GM Rochester mechanical FI.

The heads, 3782461, appear to have been made 61-66 and used on the 327s as well
the last
of the 283s.  Fortunately that would mean a larger stock pile than just  61.

With more time, I could find the cam grind numbers, but I would expect a rough
idle and
a design for a high rpm engine with some misbehavior at the lower end.  These
would also
be high compression heads and probably wouldn't work well with today's pump
gas.
However, if you're still interested, I could continue to dig thru my vette
resto stuff
further.

Most of the original vette stuff, especially the FI stuff, is pretty expensive
too.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" wrote:

> I did a Google search on Chevrolet RPO 354 and found the following (which
>doesn't
answer