Re: [oletrucks] Workshop Floor Ideas?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Workshop Floor Ideas?
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:29:15 -0700
> Any good ideas for workshop flooring material?
>
> I've got a former greenhouse (20' x 30') that I've covered with a
> weatherproof fabric especially designed for buildings. But the ground is
> hard-packed dirt. I had one guy estimate $4000 to put rebar and a concrete
> floor in. He said he had to pump the concrete in because the building was
> already constructed.
>
> Does that price sound right?  Ouch.

Concrete has gone up since I built my shop 10 yrs ago...but that price
doesn't sound tooooo far out of line.

> Any other ideas for cost-effective over-dirt flooring? Is concrete to only
> way to go, or could there be a less expensive but happy alternative?

I got to visit the closed down Chevy factory in Kansas City, where my 55
Belair was built.  It had brick flooring in part of the downstairs
area.  I suppose a brick floor would work, but using a floor jack and
jackstands on it would be iffy.

A solid, well built and well supported wood floor would also work, but
would probably be as expensive as concrete.

But I did my first ole truck work in the dirt (when I was a teenager),
so you might be able to manage also.  It's a nuisance, but if you only
have enough money to either buy the parts for the truck, or build a
place to work on the truck, then working on dirt may be the only
solution    :)

> I wanna get to work on my '49 3100!

I'll bet you do!

Jim