RE: [oletrucks] Any more advice on IFS or Rear End swaps for TF

To: "List, Truck" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Any more advice on IFS or Rear End swaps for TF
From: "Jeff Engel" <jengel@ghnaes.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:03:29 -0600
Roger:

My setup is a little different from what was in my 85 IROC.  The 85 was the
first and somewhat odd year for the TPI.  The 85 had it's own computer and
was a Mass Air Flow setup.  86-88 shared a computer and were Mass Air Flow
setup. 90-92 shared a computer and were a Manifold Absolute Pressure setup.
The MAP setups are easier and somewhat cheaper to install.  Plus the air
intake plumbing is much cleaner.  The MAF requires a huge MAF sensor in the
air intake before the throttle body.  MAP does away with this.  You probably
already know this stuff but I wanted to clarify just in case.

I set mine up like a 1990 Camaro with a 305 TPI and 700R4 tranny.  It uses
all the same sensors as my 85 EXCEPT: no MAF (you add a MAP sensor now),
computers handles spark control so, no ESC sensor, different computer (use
'730 computer), eliminate the 9th injector at driver side fuel rail and
intake runners, and eliminate the cold start sensor at the front of the
intake manifold.  Also, "chip" in the computer must be modified.  this is
easy and a lot of people can do this.  I had the VATS (vehicle anti theft
system) disabled (this lets me start the truck) and I had the EGR codes
disabled (I eliminated all the emissions stuff).  My state does not requires
emissions testing for my year of truck.  The computer controls the cooling
fan.  I got the fan from Jeg's and I used the radiator from the 85.  It
works great and looks great to.  The radiator is the exact size to fit up
front and no I have no radiator sticking up above the hood latch panels.
Nice and smooth.  Check my shutterfly pics for a shot of that.  There is a
fuel pump relay and cooling fan relay that I mounted on the firewall below
the battery that are a part of the engine harness.  I have the Check Engine
light mounted where my ignition switch used to be and the connector for
checking engine codes mounted right below the ash tray

I made a custom stainless steel gas tank for under the bed and installed the
stock fuel pump from the 85 gas tank to my gas tank.  It is in the tank
itself.  I used the sending unit that came with my Auto Meter gauges for the
fuel gauge.

This sounds like a lot but it isn't.  Very easy to install and no special
tools required.  I suggest you go to: www.chevythunder.com for a wealth of
info.  This guy helped me a lot!  He has harnesses and was the one to do my
"chip".

Please feel free to ask me anymore questions.  If I can help, I will do my
best!

Thanks,
Jeff Engel
1956 TF