[oletrucks] gas tank

Subject: [oletrucks] gas tank
From: <kpierce@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:24:58 -0600
I recently stopped by a local dealership and looked around and under new
trucks to see what might be interesting.  I noticed on 2003 Ford 1/2 tons
that the gas tank is located between the frame rail and driveshaft.  It is
suspended on straps that attach to the frame and maybe an upper subframe...
I couldn't crawl around under the truck to see for sure because I wasn't
dressed for it.  Anyway, I had considered putting a tank in just that
location on my '57 3100 to free up space in the cab.  I don't want to use
the space behind the rear end because it would eliminate the space for my
spare tire.  One idea I had was to put the tank on the passenger side to add
weight on side where wheel spin most often occurs and maybe help reduce
spin.

Questions:
1.  Has anyone put a tank in the space between (and below) the frame and
driveshaft on an oletruck?  If so, please share your experience.
2.  Any donor trucks that would have a tank that might fit in that location?
3.  Could one keep the filler opening in stock location but run the filler
pipe through the bottom of the cab into the tank so as to look stock?  Maybe
there would need to be a rubber boot such as the one that is normally used
around a floor shifter at the point where the filler tube runs through the
cab bottom....