Re: [oletrucks] Hello

To: "Lisa Freeman" <lisa@tiora.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hello
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:39:24 -0700
Hi Lisa. I am hoping for a 1950 or so GMC. I mainly want a rig with tubular
shocks; that is, the modern type. The older cars and trucks (Pick-ups) had
what was called knee action. My dad had a 37, and later 39 Chevy with knee
action. I don't know how well they performed, but I suspect in this day and
age a person would have problems maintaining them. And like you, I hope for
something a little out of the ordinary in the mechanical area. I'm planning
on a "warmed up" GMC 302 or more modern 292 inline six, maybe with fuel
injection. Definitely dual exhausts. A six with a split manifold, where the
exhaust from three cylinders goes into each pipe and muffler, really sounds
different with a good set of mufflers. Does anyone know if the old
glasspacks are still being made? Are they legal? And then hook this
"sleeper" engine up to a  700R4 automatic transmission with overdrive. The
best of both worlds; get up and go, and comfort at speed. There are mild hop
up parts to make your inline six go! I also want power steering and power
disc brakes. I hope to keep the stock suspension and frame, but who knows.
And I would like a sharp but stock exterior. But little changes would be
acceptable. So, there are all sorts of ways you can go. If you stay with an
inline engine, you might also consider joining Inliners International. They
support ALL inline engined cars and trucks, from 4 cylinders to 8. All
inline, no V- anything's.  Good luck, and keep us posted. Bob K in PHX, AZ.