Re: [oletrucks] New Member

To: jillknake@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New Member
From: Ie61pah@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:06:31 EDT
In a message dated 6/19/03 12:21:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
jillknake@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi
> I'm new to the list, have been reading the archives on the Oletrucks website
>
> and figured it was time to sign up. My husband has been making nice cars for
>
> years. I talked him into buying a 57 -1/2 ton pickup (for me) that I want to
>
> make into a nice truck.
> I'll be reading your letters to figure out what I need to do next. My
> husband calls this truck a "basket case". We bought it from a friend of his
> that had started working on the truck. He is going to help me make the
> truck, but I will do all of the footwork (running for parts, coffee & beer)
> It is really torn apart, most of the parts were thrown in back to tow it
> home. Some of the work has been started.
> Thanks for letting me be part of your "gang"
> Jill

Hi Jill, and welcome to "our gang." I have to say a big AMEN to what Bob K.
wrote. Don't just start tearing into your truck without a plan. Sit it aside or
cover it with a tarp, or better yet, inventory it to really see what you've
got, as far as condition, original parts, and your resources. Go to shows, read
magazines, look at members pictures and web sites, and see what kind of
"look" you like. Next, decide what YOU want to do with the truck. Is it going
to be
a daily driver, nice weekends only, or a show truck? Is it going to be a
grocery getter, a drag race the kids truck, or pull a 50' three story camper.
This
is all important as to how you fix up YOUR truck. I emphasize YOU, and YOUR
because it is YOUR truck. YOU can do anything to any truck, with any parts, in
any way YOU see fit. YOUR imagination and money is YOUR only limitation. Make
a plan, stick with it, and HAVE FUN!
Patrick A. Hollister '58 step
West Burlington, IA.