Re: [oletrucks] New Member

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New Member
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:05:26 -0500
Welcome to the list!  If you don't have them already, the first things
you want to get are a factory service manual for your truck year
and an assembly manual.  These will help you figure out what that
part is and how the whole thing goes back together.  Excellent reprints
are available from the old truck parts vendors for $25 each or so.

Second, get to know the vendors, Chevy Duty, Bowtie Bits, Jim Carter,
Patricks, Heavy Chevy, and others I don't remember at the moment.
All have web sites and most have online catalogs on their web sites.
It is almost to the point where you can build a new old truck from
scratch with reproduction parts and a donated drive line.

I second the notion to start going to shows where you can see what
others have done.  Bring a camera and a notebook.  Talk to the owners
of trucks you like.  This is where ideas on what you can do come
from.

Finally, if you and your husband can work together (some perfectly
fine couples can't) spend some time in the garage and learn about
your truck. There is nothing like being able to say "I did that!"
or "We did that together."

You picked the finest looking of the Chevy trucks, but then my opinion
is biased :-)  The TF's also have the advantage of having some fairly
modern features like a pressure lubed engine with hydraulic lifters,
12 volt negative ground electricals, and plastic insulated wire.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Thursday, 19 June 2003, you wrote:

>Hi Jill. I don't have a truck yet. I'm waiting for a fairly nice
early1950's
>GMC to fall out of the sky. Of course, with my luck it'll land on
me. This
>list does a great job of letting you see what options you have.
Stock front
>end, front end clips from different cars, different engines, etc.
what power
>steering units will work, power brakes, etc. Some people want to
stick with
>the original engine; V-8 or inline 6. I personally want a 292 or
302 cubic
>inch inline six, with an 700 R4 automatic overdrive transmission.
I want a
>"Sleeper". I may add electronic fuel injection. Almost anything
is possible.
>Mainly determined by your imagination, skill, daring, and pocketbook.
I've
>even thought abt a 4 cylinder Cummins diesel. (And am STILL thinking),
Plus
>you even get to change your mind. Take your time, and try to get
to a few
>truck shows, and see if any list members are in your area. I'm sure
ANYBODY
>will be more than happy to show you their truck, and maybe even
tell you of
>problems they've had. Sit back, look around, and ask any question
that comes
>to mind. Somebody else may well benefit from that question. Bob
K in PHX,
>AZ.

that I want