[oletrucks] Oil Capacity of 235 six?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Oil Capacity of 235 six?
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:31:11 -0700
Re: Dusty's 1950 GMC
Dusty and I did an oil change and radiator flush yesterday on his truck. It
has a 1955 235 six in it. Can anyone tell me the oil capacity of the engine?
The book we have for the original truck and engine states 9-1/2 to 10-1/2
qts. if the filter assembly is drained. We put in 7 quarts, checked it, and
it was already over-full! Could we have the incorrect dip stick, or does the
235 take that much less oil?
  Also, the fabric-covered oil filter element in the filter canister, is
this replaceable with a more modern cartridge-type filter element? We just
drained it and put it back in, as there is no way to really clean it...
  Thanks!

Dave Destler
dave@juniorbaseball.com