Re: [oletrucks] '55 Rear brakes

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '55 Rear brakes
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:14:20 -0500
I just did this on my 57 in the rear.  The brakes are not self adjusting.
The local NAPA had all the parts I needed, usually overnight or
in stock, at a very good price.  Did not need new drums or spring
hardware, but the shoes, cylinders, and adjusters were no problem
at all.

Get a brake spring tool for getting those top two springs off and
on.  The one I got has one end for taking the springs off and the
other end for putting them on.  It works great.

The trick for the small holding rod and spring in the middle of the
shoe is to press the spring in and twist the pin 90 degrees with
a pliers.  The pin will then come out.

Put anti sieze on the adjusters to keep them from rusting up.

When you take the brake line off the cylinder a tube wrench (the
fitting is a 3/8" hex) works lots better than an open end wrench.
This is like a box end wrench with a slot cut out to go over the
tube.  It grips the fitting better.  If you don't want to buy one,
you can  make one from a box end wrench with a Dremel tool.  Watch
that you don't twist the tube if it is in good shape.

The two bolts on the back that hold the cylinder on are 1/2 inch heads.

The rear drums should slide right off the studs.  The fronts came
from the factory attached to the hub, so you will wind up repacking
the front bearings if you dig in there.

The original bleeder valve on the cylinders that was made for a small
hose fitting to screw in can be replaced with a modern one (the kind
that looks like a grease fitting.)  Just take it all the way out.

When you bleed the new cylinder, put the cover back on the master
cylinder when you pump it.  There is a little fountain of fluid that
squirts up when you press the pedal.  Don't pump more than three
or four times on a full master cylinder or it will go empty.

Good luck.  It's not a hard job, just tedious, especially if you
have to wait for parts.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN