Re: [oletrucks] horn relay - design function? bad to not use it

To: GremlinGTs@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] horn relay - design function? bad to not use it
From: Bob Fischer <r.fischerjr@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:51:09 -0700
>    Ok, even though I'm an electronic repair tech, even I don't know what
>everything does! :)  I'm not sure what the function of the little relay
>is, I know
>horns will blow with straight voltage, so my question's are :
>
>- what does it really do?
Provides a set of 20-->30 A contacts direct to the horn. The relay can be
actuated
via some small gauge wire since it probably requires only milliamps.

>- will it hurt the horn to be tested with straight voltage briefly?
I've done it many times, never hurt a working horn, BUT it probably
does not extend its life any either.

>- will some horns NOT work without a horn relay?
Like you, I don't know everything, that's why I'm married, she DOES!
Voltage from a source be it direct or thru relay contacts if of significant
current (amperage) should make the horn work.

I suggest you wire them in parallel, from the hallway walls to your door bell,
I'm sure she will be very pleased with that :)

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

  http://Bobsplayce.home.att.net   e-mail -->r.fischerjr@att.net