Re: [oletrucks] Paint question

To: "Mark Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Paint question
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:35:16 -0500
Mark, that Does happen when blasting. A commercial place I used to use had a
clear dip or coating they sprayed on, not sure what it was. You couldn't see
it, but it kept rust off awhile, had to make sure to clean off before paint.
I didn't like the fact paint may not hold, so asked them not to use it. Some
places will spray a primer on right-away for you, but then you can't see the
"real" metal to see how it is. AND, body filler needs bare metal to fill and
hold. When I get stuff blasted now, I like to get it the same day done, and
lightly sand and spray primer on right away. An  knot brush in a 4" or so
angle grinder will clean metals up great and smooth more than the blasted
surface. I sometimes use that on the parts before priming.  I was told
Muriatic Acid will cut some rust too, after blasting that is, I never tried
it.

G. L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750