Re: [oletrucks] carb choke screws

To: <mark@noakes.com>, <napco4x4@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] carb choke screws
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:38:19 -0500
Mark, a couple years ago I was driving my 54 two-ton with a car trailer on
it. Cruising about 40ish. Went to let up on throttle, and nothing happened,
still cruising! Got pulled over shutting off engine. I thought linkage was
stuck. Linkage was fine and all moved. The throttle shaft was coming out of
carb, so plate was off. I was thinking, OH Boy, metal in engine! Luckily I
had bunch of tools with me. I pulled off carb, and plate was loose, screws
heads gone, shaft of screw still in the throttle shaft. Luckily I could
unscrew them with pliers grabbing the ends sticking out. After I got them
out, "then what"??  I had some heavy wire in truck, made a loop, slipped
thru the plate and screw holes, twisted tight. The darn thing made it
another 50 miles, where I picked up another truck, and the 105 miles back
home with all that, plus a trip to a storage facility in town. Never balked
or came loose again!  When I fixe it, regular screws had bigger heads,
threads OK, but twisted them off when tightening, like you said. I ended up
changing out the whole bottom butterfly throttle body from extras I had. One
thing, it ran best it ever had with that wire in it! I think one screw's
been holding the plate on and it was loose, causing variances in throttle
before. Try THAT easy fix on a new truck! Ha!

G. L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750
AD trucks and MM tractors