RE: [oletrucks] S10 4X4 Frame

To: "'Bob KNOTTS'" <raknotts@qwest.net>, <Oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] S10 4X4 Frame
From: "Andy Johns" <oldtruckguy@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:04:15 -0500
Being one of the few that has actually done the S-10 swap, I guess i ought
to throw in my 2 cents.  The frame swap has its pros and cons.  I put an
1988 S-10 long bed frame (but not 4x4) under my 1951 3100.  The ride is much
better, I have front power disc brakes, powersteering, a bed mounted gas
tank, and its is much easier to find suspension parts for an s-10 that a 50
year old truck.  I purchased motor mounts from www.jagsthatrun.com that
enabled me to set a 350 on the s-10 frame.  Motor mounts could be built for
an old engine, but it would be plenty of trouble.
        The swap is not for the faint of heart.  I had my truck disassembled
taking
up all of a 2 car garage for over a year.  Ofcourse, I was still in High
School , so learning was my top priority (yea right!).  The cab mounted
fairly easily, with the back bolting right on, and the front needing some
angle irons and shims to sit level.  The bed is mounted on wooden wedges to
compensate for a different slope of the frame rails.  Also, the frame is a
little longer so I still need to find 3/4 ton running boards and lengthen
the bed about 3 inches hust to make it look right.  You will aslo need a new
rear end and driveshaft because, though some say otherwise, I don't feel
that the S-10 shaft and rear are designed for the torque of a v8.
        Finally, the S-10 swap is much cheaper.  I bought a rolling stripped
frame
with master cylinder, gas tank, and steering column for $400.  The hole
process cost much less than having a camaro clip put on, but it was probably
more work.  I was quoted $3000 to have a camaro clip put on.  However, if i
had had the money to do that, i would be farther along on the project than i
am now.  Get ready to spend a lot of saturdays working with this truck if
you plan an S-10 swap.

Andy Johns
1951 3100