Re: [oletrucks] axle seals

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] axle seals
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:04:35 -0700
> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:41:07 -0400
> From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] axle seals
>
> I'll start by admitting I did something wrong. I just don't know what!
>
> I am putting my rear end back together and as I was installing the axle seal
> the little springs that goes around the inside of the rubber seal came out.
>
> I was using a bearing\seal installer (handle with big flat aluminum disc
> attached)
>
> I guess I hit it too hard. The worst thing is it happened on both sides. I
> can't seem to force the springs back into the inside groove of the rubber.
> Now I have to get a seal removing tool to get these out and get new ones. I
> don't want to screw the new ones up.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have a habit of smearing some grease inside the seal lip
to retain the spring before installing any seal.  Guess how
I developed this habit?

You might be able to get the springs back in by fabricating
a pair of tools such as bent wire or bent (cheap soft)
screwdrivers, or something similar.  It's a pain...after
spending a few hours it'll seem like the best solution is to
buy new seals!  but you might get lucky and get the springs
back in.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org