RE: [oletrucks] axle seals

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] axle seals
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:40:30 -0400
Ed,

Thanks. I got emails from a few people that at least make me understand that
installing these seals is a learned skill. After looking at the seal  in the
light of day. I was working on the truck fairly late (fun but prone to
mistakes) I realized the seal driver I chose actually made the seal slightly
concave. It was just slightly smaller than the seal. Maybe I was hitting it
too hard. I wasn't very careful about getting it started square, which as
you say bends the seal. I was able to get a new set from my local NAPA store
and most places could get me the seal in a day or so. The numbers for the
seal which fit most 1/2 ton trucks up to 1962 (mine is a 1955 1st series
rear end) was Chicago Rawhide 18695 or Timken 414045. I love finding these
numbers so I can get more from my local stores on small items like this. The
Timken seal is expensive. Napa lists these for $22.00. But the counter guy
gave then to me at dealer pricing, so they were $16.00 a piece. As you say
expensive learning curve.

I have had a couple suggestions to keep the spring in place like packing the
back of the seal with grease, and one counter guy at NAPA suggested putting
a little silicone on the back of the seal to hold the spring on. Any
thoughts on these techniques?

Thanks to those that replied.

Bill