Re:[oletrucks] axle seals

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:[oletrucks] axle seals
From: Ed Miller <enigmaT120@highstream.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 20:16:43 -0700
I hope somebody has a better answer than me.  I am bad at installing
seals like that, I have to redo one on my truck thanks to a very slow
leak.  (But did you notice that the inside of the end of the axle has an
"oil flinger" to keep the leaking oil from your brake shoes?)

I think I know how to do this, but my hands don't.  You are using the
right tool, unless you can think of a way to press that sucker in.  It
has to go in square; if it goes in a little crooked, it gets bent.  Make
sure there are no burrs in the metal around the edge, of course, and I
always put a little oil around the seal.  Maybe I should stop doing that.

A little crowbar will lever that ruined seal out, no need for a special
tool.  Just make sure not to score the metal where the seal will, err,
seal.    Good luck.  I think it's a learned physical skill, several
bucks per mistake.
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside half ton