Re: [oletrucks] Pipe taps?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Pipe taps?
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:13:34 -0700
> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:31:21 -0800
> From: "Devin Timmons" <hotrod64chevy@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Pipe taps?
>
> I have run across a problem on one of my old-car projects, and with all the
> members out there, I figured somebody might know the answer.  I'm plumbing in
> a heater I bought from Mr 40's and it's a very simple unit, with just 2 wires
> and 2 tubes for coolant to run through.  The way it sits in my car I have to
> come off of it with a quick 90 degree turn, and was thinking of using pipe
> fittings, and cutting the threads into the tubes.  The tubes are exactly
> .500".  Knowing that pipe threads are both tapered, and larger than normal
> threads, can anybody suggest the proper method and size to use?

If the heater has thinwall brass or copper tubes coming out of it,
then you can't thread them.   You might find a compression fitting
that fits, try the plumbing section at a good hardware store or a good
auto parts store.

But they do make heater hoses with 90 degree turns at the ends, try a
good auto parts store.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!