[oletrucks] metal etch vs epoxy primer

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] metal etch vs epoxy primer
From: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:44:10 -0400
Can someone shed some light on this subject for me? I just had some
fenders blasted and I was told that metal etch is not necessary if I use
an epoxy primer. I was told the Urethane primer I have, would not be
good to put on bare metal, even if I did etch it. However I was told
that I could use the K2 High Build primer over the epoxy primer. I was
looking around and found that there is also an epoxy primer that I can
not use on bare metal. From what IO can tell the epoxy for going over
metal has the primer, hardner or activator and reducer and mixes 4:1.
With all the different kinds' primers ands paints, along with the
different manufactures and prices, it makes it confusing to make the
right choice. I just want a primer that is compatible with all paints
and want break the bank.

Thanks again guys,
                Tom in SC
                55 TF