RE: [oletrucks] power steering pump

To: kjohlgren@hotmail.com, tntcoop@earthlink.net,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] power steering pump
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:09:02 -0500
Tom:
Want to echo Kurt's comments below (brackets are a different animal).  On my
power steering conversion several years ago, I made many trips to the
junkyard and sent more than a couple of "will-fit" brakets kits back to
vendors.

For my SB 283 Chevy engine, I got the most satisfaction from Allan Grove
brackets.  They are mild steel and can be powercoated, painted, even chromed
if you want.  Workmanship was excellent but beyond that, the instructions
provided were top-notch.  They even included information about the various
generations of GM steering pumps and what to look for when selecting and
mounting on your engine.  Instructions were simple and straightforward.  I
only wish I had started with them instead of trying things on my own for so
long.  Liked the power steering pump bracket so much I bought an alternator
bracket from them too!

My engine has a separate belt for the steering pump driven right off the
crank pully (inside groove).  The water pump/fan and alternator are driven
off a second belt and I've driven over 10,000 miles the last 3 years with no
belt problems whatsoever (other than an occasional tightening).

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your project.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL

>From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
>To: tntcoop@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: RE: [oletrucks] power steering pump
>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:48:04 +0000
>
>Tom
>Brackets are a different animal. some mount low, some high, left or right
>side and long or short water pump. but most are low on the left and driven
>off the crank/alt belt. anything your combonation, that fits will work.
>buying new can run mucho dinero to say the least. I spent a lot of time and
>made my own, they're industrial llooking but they work.
>Kurt
>58 3100 Apache project

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline