Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 door guts

To: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 door guts
From: "The Botelers" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:45:04 -0400
Kurt,

I got my door kit from Chevy Duty...so far so good.  The doors were finished
this past Spring, so things are still new.

As for the doors, by the time you pay for blasting and batch panels you will
have spent enough money to be well on your way to buying new doors and in
the end you will still have patched doors.  I did a lot of soul searching
when I did my Fire Engine (which only had 11,000 miles on it).  The door
bottoms were shot from the fire department guys washing the truck all the
time.  I paid $385 per door and was able to pick them up at the suppliers
shop saving lots of money on shipping.  At that price it's hard to justify
doing body work.

The cheap rear cab corners are oversized and are made to fit OVER the old
metal (leave the old metal behind).  The "better" corners are designed for a
butt weld joint after the old metal is cut out, so they are the thickness of
the metal smaller than the cheap ones.

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Brush Fire Truck NAPCO
'56 8400 Wrecker w/Holmes 525