RE: [oletrucks] engine swap & motor mounts

To: Captain Kirk <thecaptainkirk@yahoo.com>, oletruck oletruck
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] engine swap & motor mounts
From: K Ohlgren <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 00:23:59 +0000
kirk
anything can be done to these trucks, all it takes is time and money. time is
proportional to $$, less equals more, lol.
yes you will need new motor and trans mounts. the original v8 set up has front
motor mounts and bell housing side mounts. the tranny just hangs there off the
bell housing.
to convert to an automatic you will have to whack out the trans mount members
and install a new cross member for a rear trans mount. the xmember can come
from any 70s car or truck with an auto trans, you will need to modify it to
keep the right height. the xmember from the van will work too.
with the tran mount way back, you can't use the old front engine mounts
anymore. any motor built since 1960 has mid-motor mounts and you need to use
those. buy a bolt in motor mount xmember or weld up some. use the ruber mounts
currently on the motor.
your 57 radiator will work fine if it is good condition. you will need to add
a trans cooler, a cheapo will work here unless you pull a trailer a lot.
hang onto the van steering column as you will use it when you convert to a
must II front end later on.
buy a cheepo autozone floor shifter. theroreticaly you could use the column
shift but it would be dangerous as you wouldn't have any detents for the gears
or a neutal safety switch.
you will need to change the front yolk and drive line length to put in the
700r4. any driveline shop can do this for about $200.
the 80 van probably has fuel injection that runs off a computer. unless your
handy with that stuff, get a jy carb and intake manifold and put it on the
motor.
unless you have a lot of money you will be spending a lot of time scouring
junk yards for misc parts, but that's the fun part of it.
your old motor is probably a 283, if it runs it is worth the time to sell it
as they are becoming a rare comodity.
Kurt 58 3100 Apache project the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and
going...> From: thecaptainkirk@yahoo.com> To: oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] engine swap & motor mounts> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
21:58:40 -0700> > Hey Guys,> > > > I have a '57 Chevy 3100.> > I will soon be
attempting to pull out my original V8 engine (285?) and> "three on the tree"
tranny, and replace them with a 350 engine and automatic> (700R4 I think?)
combo from an '84 Chevy G20 van. > > Could anyone offer any advice in this
area?> > I am wondering about a few things like:> > Will I need new motor
mounts and if so where can I get a cheap pair?> > Will I need new tranny
mounts and if so where can I get a cheap set of> those?> > Is it possible to
change the automatic transmission shifter controls from on> the column in the
van to on the floor in the '57 truck?> > If it is possible would almost any
4-speed automatic shifter controller on> the floor work from the salvage
yard?> > Will I need to modify (lengthen / shorten) the drive shaft?> > Should
I keep the factory '57 radiator, or attempt to use the '84 Van> radiator in
the '57?> > > > Cheap advice / parts would be preferred; my budget is
extremely low.> > Special thanks in advance to all responses!!> > > > Kirk
Brown> > Mira Loma, CA 91752> > '57 Chevy 3100 Series> >
More photos; more messages; more whatever  Get MORE with Windows Live
Hotmail.. NOW with 5GB storage.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration
_HM_mini_5G_0907