Re: [oletrucks] Steering Column for 48 Pickup

To: Mike Sergesketter <mserges@psci.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering Column for 48 Pickup
From: Bob Chansler <bobchansler@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:52:41 -0800 (PST)
Mike,
I used the original column in my 49 burb. I cut the column off the box
right at the top of the box. You have the outer tube and the inner shaft. Once
you cutoff the box, the steering wheel will pop out of the top of the tube as
there is a spring at the top of the column and and nothing left to hold it
together. I took the whole thing apart at this point and changed the horn wire
and looked at the upper bearing. New upper bearings are available. Next you
cut about 2 inches of the outer tube leaving the inner shaft sticking out.
Then you file the inner shaft into a double-d shape to match a Borgeson
coupler. I used the coupler that has a damper in it on one end and a regular
joint on the other. Cost about $110. After you have the shaft ready and the
inner shaft ground down, get a steering column bearing to put on the end of
the tube. Cost about $39. Got mine from Classic Parts of America. Part number
76-987.  This is a bear to get in there as it seems
 too big. If yo decide to nudge it in with a BFH, take the inner tube abnd
upper bearing out so that you don't damage them when you start
pounding. BTDT.  Oh, and before you take the column out of the truck, measure
or mark where the column support under the dash hits the column.

Advantage of
this is that the interior looks original. Personally, I don't like the looks
of a tilt column in an old truck.  A dead give away to a modifyed truck. This
is also cheaper that buying an Ididit or Flaming River column.

Disadvantages:
No tilt, no turn signal switch, no ignition switch, no column shift for auto
trans. You have to use a floor shifter for the trans. Also, limited steering
wheels available for the original column. Most replacement wheels have a 4
inch dish to them and the original has zero dish. You could move the column
down 4 inches to use newer stering wheels. I am still looking for a smaller
steering wheel that looks like it could have come on the truck. I may use a
Corvette style wheel. The original wheel is too big for me and my paunch.
Hope that helps.
Bob Chansler
Mead, CO