keeping 7018 rod dry

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: keeping 7018 rod dry
From: "Richard George x 7247 (sun)" <rkg@etec.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 09:29:59 -0800
Hi,

After much delay (new baby and all), I finally got a chance to start
working on several welding projects that have been waiting for quite
a while...

After trying a couple of rod types, I found out why I used to like 7018
rod so much (6011 makes a nasty looking weld, 6013 hardly penetrates -
I ended up using 7014, but I prefer reverse DC...).  The problem is that
the school had one of those funky electrode drying ovens to keep the
7018 fresh, and...

My question is:  how can the "small" guy keep this stuff dry?  I was
thinking maybe a toaster oven or something..  What do the rest of
you do about this?  Are those funky gasketed plastic tubes good enough?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

TIA,

rkg

(Richard George)