Re: Rusty Welding Tanks

To: George Procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Subject: Re: Rusty Welding Tanks
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:09:00 GMT
Yes, get your tanks tested.  Any welding supply store can do, or
arrange for, the test for you.  If they bless your tanks, use them.
If not, you have just saved your life.=20

 Also, those tanks may belong to a welding gas supplier, not to you.
That is good news and bad news.   If you have a bill of sale for them
it would help, but might not solve the problem (where did the seller
get the tanks?).  Stampings on the tanks will tell the tale.  Little
tanks are most often owned, but big ones are often rented.  Many can
be exchanged free at the gas supplier, too.  (Let them worry about
repainting).  In some cases nobody will refill the tanks and will just
return them to the gas supplier, and you may be out the purchase
price.  It depends on geography and lots of other factors (lots of
local variations on this).
-Roland