Re: RE: Rusty Welding Tanks

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RE: Rusty Welding Tanks
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:04:40 -0500 (EST)
 mrleach@Fair.Net (Michael Leach) wrote:

>To be on the safe side your going to need a VIP and a hydro test.  The
>VIP is just a visual inspection of the inside of the tank for rust and
>whatever else. The hydro test is done in a controlled water tank.  They
>can measure the amount of expansion the tank has under some very high
>pressure for a "x" amount of time usually more pressure then you would
>normally fill the tank.

When my oxygen tank was recertified, they told me the pressure (hydro) test
was at 4000 PSI. (Tanks are usually filled to around 2500 around here)

Also, is it the Oxygen tank that is rusty, or the Acet. tank? (or both).
 Personally, I would get the tanks clean (If wire brushing, make sure no
fumes are leaking from the flammable gas tank!!  I'm not sure I would even
want to try wire brushing.)  , paint them, then take them in to be
tested-tell the place you want both tanks tested, and why (The rust).
 Specify that the Acet. tank be tested, as one place I deal with said the
lower pressure tanks are not usually tested (ie flammable gases-acet is
usually 250PSI)

Good luck!  Scott M Ryan