Re: Rusty Welding Tanks

To: "George Procyshyn" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rusty Welding Tanks
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:02:40 -0600
DO NOT USE.  I spent many years in the business and assure you those tanks
ARE NOT SAFE.  You can take the high pressure (Oxygen) tank to a larger
supplier and they should be able to have it hydrostatically tested and it
may be ok, but until it's been tested DO NOT put any pressure in them.

One time I saw a high pressure cylinder that had split (I have seems lots
of bad cylinders, my father owned a bottling plant, and through college my
job was to run the hydro tester, but this one split along the length)  not
a pretty sight, and no, you would be surprised just how thin that steel is,
only slightly more than gauge metal on newer tanks and less than a 1/8"
inch on the oldest.

There is no good way to salvage the acetylene tank and some even are loaded
with asbestos.