RE: Acetylene tanks

To: mrjones2@ix.netcom.com
Subject: RE: Acetylene tanks
From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 7:16:55 -0600
>I once heard that Acetylene tanks are filled with concrete - The Acetylene
>flows through it like water flows through a  sponge.  I'm doubtful, does
>anyone know for sure??

I understand that acetylene bottles do contain a porous filler - but I've
never heard that it was concrete.  One reason for the filler is to keep the
solution from sloshing around - acetylene bottles actually contain a
solution of the gas in acetone.  This is because acetone is an incredibly
good solvent for acetylene --- one volume of acetone can contain up to 300
volumes of acetylene (at 12atm pressure).  The solution can contain the
same amount of acetylene at a much lower pressure than would otherwise be
possible.

 Lee M. Daniels                 Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
 daniels@cryogen.com                                      Texas A&M University
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB                                 http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191