Re: Broken Stud

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Broken Stud
From: Todd Walke <racertod@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:57:59 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:

>  When the easy out breaks, you are REALLY done for. I broke
>an easy out trying to remove a bleed nipple from a rather
>valuable caliper, and that was the end of that caliper. You
>can't really drill it out after.

        I had excatly that happen to me.  Broke a bleeder nipple.  Figured I
would
use the easy out to remove it.  The easy out broke off.  So I started to
drill it out.  After drilling it for awhile (those easy outs are HARD
steel) I realized that in the process of drilling it out I would probably
ruin the sealing area below the nipple.  So I stopped drilling.  I noticed
that the fluid was no longer dripping out of the broken nipple.  I applied
the brakes, still no fluid leaking.  I guess the heat of drilling welded
the easy out metal into the hole and plugged it up.  I've been driving it
that way for about 3 or 4,000 miles.  I know, I know I really should get a
new caliper... but I'm too cheap.

Todd