Re: drilling brake rotors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: drilling brake rotors
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:02:03 -0600
Phil Ethier wrote:

> >you didn't say why you want to drill, so you get the whole lecture.
>
> You saved me the trouble.  This "drilled-rotor" mania mystifies me.

 It helps operation in the rain, for motorcycles.  For cars, not much
use.  The drilling increases the cooling area of the rotor, but the
increase is almost meaningless compared to the rate the pads pump heat
*into* the rotor.

> In the unlikely event that gas fading is really a huge problem in your life,
> grooving the pad has many advantages,

 The binders in the old asbestos pads used to outgas enough to make them
go slick at high temperature.  I haven't encountered that sort of thing
in many years; most pads are sintered metal or ceramic nowadays and
don't have much in the way of resins in them.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?