Re: drilling brake rotors

To: JNiolon@uss.com, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: drilling brake rotors
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:32:14 -0500
Yeah, don't do it.

It sounds as if you are trying to upgrade your brake performance. I'll assume
you are referring to a street car. This is something I wrote about "upgraded"
street braking for another list:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The groves and cross-drilled holes are unnecessary unless you are racing. Even
then, they are suspect. Cracking, weakened resistance to warping, reduction in
thermal mass, reduction in swept area and potential for increased pad wear are
some of the downsides. The only valuable benefit I can find for cross-drilling
is a reduction in unsprung weight on formula cars. Call the current fad of
grooves and cross-drilling good marketing.

Get a quality set of OEM replacement rotors and spend your time and money on
good pads. If you want the clearing benefits of cross drilling or a groove,
cut a groove radially into the pad. Same gas and dust clearing, a stronger
rotor, and the added bonus of an extra biting edge, which theoretically can
improve braking performance.

Performance Friction is the best pad in my book, but they _are_ expensive.
Their street pads offer long life, a firm pedal feel, and little, if any,
squeal. Plus, they won't chew up your rotors like some other high performance
pads. If the PF website (http://www.performancefriction.com/) doesn't show an
application try Porterfield who is a reseller of PF pads and they also sell
their own pads for other cars. Check out
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.htm, you want the R4S compound for
street driving. Hawk and EBC also make great street pad compounds.

See what the high performance pads give you first. If not, then a caliper or
caliper/disc upgrade would probably be your next logical choice.

Jon Rush