RE: General building question

To: "George P Dausch IV" <gpd4@juno.com>
Subject: RE: General building question
From: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:24:19 +0100
George, thanks again.

Ok, so I now got myself a load of 1/2" rebar, epory (rawl-r-kem) and
1/4" plate. Plan is as per your instructions to run tabs up the frame
with holes for the rebar, and bond 10 or so lengths of rebar into the
floor. Also rebar up the end of the wall next to the door.

> necessary. In engineering theory, this wall be support a
> 5400lb load generated by an 80mph wind with no reinforcing,
> so anything additional that you do is just insurance.

Just to make sure I'm reading you right, the thing that would trouble me
is the weight of the door trying to pull the wall over when its open (ie
at 90 degrees to the wall). You saying I should not worry about that?
The proposed door design is about 7'x10', 50mm x 3mm angle frame with 2
50mm x 3mm flat diagonal braces, and 3/4" ply or similar sheets,
possibly with a thin steel or ally facing. Will be pretty heavy,
although I couldn't begin to guess the weight. The ground outside is
just mud, so I cant use a jockey wheel type thing to support the outer
edge of the door, so the wall must hold it.

> As an additional thought, we will generally wrap the block
> wall with a piece of 16ga "C" break metal 4" x width of block
> +1/8" x 4".  Protects the end of the wall and gives you a lot
> more flexibility to attach your hinge points to the wall.

I was thinking about that. How would you say I should fix that to the
end of the wall? Rawl bolt it on after the wall is built, or should I do
the same tabs and rebar thing that I am doing against the portal?

One thing is slightly troubling me, its my understanding that the portal
frame design is supposed to be a bit flexible, such that weight on the
roof causes the walls to expand outward slightly. If I tie the walls
solidly into the frame wont something have to give. I'm thinking about
the gantry going up there etc? Perhaps I should use oversize holes in
the tabs so there can be some movement before pulling on the rebar? Or
have I got that wrong?

> Ask anything else you need.

I hope you mean that :-).

Thanks again,