RE: angle grinder?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: angle grinder?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:07:19 -0700
A few comments, I make no claim toward real expertise.

> A 5" grinder (with standard arbor) will use either 4.5" or 5" disks and
> cut faster with a 5" disk. Sears, Dewalt and sometimes Harbor Freight
> make interesting 5" grinders. Some are large like a 7" grinder, some are
> small like a 4.5" grinder. (Love my Harbor Freight 5" grinders with
> paddle switch.)

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight 4.5" cheapie imports, $15 each I
think.  I've beat the crap out of them - they cut a rollcage and all the
interior sheetmetal out of my Mustang, have taken the undercoating off
another car, and a variety of other projects and they're still working
fine.  I'm not suggesting that they're as good as the top-drawer stuff, but
they aren't much more expensive than the grinding wheels and other
consumables.

One comment: for rapid metal removal (like the last 3/8" of a cage tube you
couldn't cut off at the base) the flapper wheels that look like a bunch of
squares of sandpaper overlapped take off material faster than the grinding
wheels.

> A paddle switch tool is turned off when you loosen your grip. A slide
> switch is often not. Paddles are nicer.

The only downside being that you have to be able to hold the tool in such a
way as to keep the paddle depressed.

John.