Re: Homemade Kwiklift

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Homemade Kwiklift
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:10:25 -0700
At 11:20 AM 9/6/2004, you wrote:

>I am afraid that this is above my skill level (no welding ability), but I
>found this link to some pictures of a homemade Kwiklift

  I was going to go the same way at one time.  My plan was 2X12's for the
ramps with supports every 2 feet for while the car was going up the ramp,
then a nice solid block of wood made up of 2X12's under each front
wheel.  Then for the bar that does the lifting at the back, I was going to
use a 4x4 but then decided against that and that was going to be the only
steel part, mostly bolted together but possibly some welding done at the
local steel shop since I didnt even have a welder at the time.

  A "test" with my truck (1/2 ton GMC) going up a curb on the 2x12's showed
they would be strong enough with supports every 2feet and the blocks would
be pyramid shaped under each wheel, 4 pyramids as I was not going to try
the folding back ramp thing they have.

   I was actually planning on doing this when my wife saw the "tests" I was
making with my truck and the curb in the street...she suggested I didn't
have enough life insurance to work under there and POOF all of a sudden the
money for a 4-post lift was found in the budget (funny it was not there
before).   I do think that it would have worked and worked safely though
and I would think the only concern you should have is the lifting bar, I
think that should be steel.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/